The Evolution of a Village
Thanks to octogenarian John Poellot and his precocious nephew Jimmy Patton, we have a detailed knowledge of Bridgeville in 1859 – a dozen houses, a grist mill, three farms, a doctor’s office, a hotel, Hugh Morgan’s store, and one hundred residents. By 1901, when the community was incorporated as a Borough, the area between the two crossings of Chartiers Creek had been transformed into a prosperous town boasting well over two thousand inhabitants. Recently, compliments of “Newspapers.com”, we have become aware of a tool that helps us map this remarkable transformation – the “Mercantile Appraiser’s List”, an annual tabulation of…








